As the contest for the leadership of the World Trade Organisation gets keener, here are a few facts about Nigeria’s candidate, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
1. She was Managing Director (Operations) of The World Bank Group from December 1, 2007 until August 2011.
2. She served as Nigeria’s Minister of Finance, Minister of Foreign Affairs and was Coordinating Minister for the Economy under the former President Goodluck Jonathan administration.
3. Currently, she is the chairperson, Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization, chairperson of the African Risk Capacity and sits on the boards of several organisations.
4. Dr. Okonjo-Iweala graduated from Harvard University with a degree in Economics, and holds a PhD in Regional Economics and Development from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
5. She was named by Fortune magazine as one of the 50 greatest world leaders in 2015, and by Forbes for five consecutive years as one of the 100 most powerful women in the world.
6. In 2014, Time magazine named Dr Okonjo-Iweala as one of the world’s 100 most influential people.
7. If she clinches the WTO leadership spot, she will be the first African and woman to hold the office.